Why choose Crete?
Living on a Greek island is special; living on Crete, even more so. The weather, the varied and impressive landscape, the hospitality, the foods, and the clear blue sea, all create a pleasant environment in which to choose to live.
Why property on Crete is a good investment
From a financial and practical point of view there are excellent reasons for choosing Crete above the many other options that there are available.
- Crete is well set up so that legalities are dealt with locally
- Unlike other European countries Greece has a low inheritance taxation system
- The cost of living is much lower than most parts of Europe
- Crete is one of the safest places in Europe to live and own a home with a crime rate that is practically zero
- Because of the size of Crete, you are more likely to find exactly what you want; from the sophisticated end of the market to an eco friendly remote property, you are sure to find what you are looking for in Crete
- For those who need or want to travel internationally, for business or pleasure, Crete has two International airports at Heraklion and Chania. There are charter flights to most European countries throughout the summer season (April-October) and there are several flights a day to Athens, operating as a year round service.
- Athens airport is a hub for international travel, including connections to Europe all year round.
- Six ferry ports on Crete provide an excellent and convenient service to the mainland and to the other islands. There are daily connections to Pireaus throughout the year. There is also a direct service to Italy during the summer months
Why Crete is a good lifestyle investment
Crete is where one wakes up thinking ‘I am exactly where I want to be!’, no need to spend the day wishing you were somewhere else.
- Something that sets Crete apart from so many other places is the friendliness of the locals, Cretans are unbelievably welcoming and generous. This coupled with the appealing laid back Mediterranean way of life, “σιγά σιγά”, and the famous Cretan diet make this island, and the people, incredibly special
- An island of light, sunshine and clear blue sky, Crete enjoys at least eight months of summer sunshine and warm temperatures, followed by mild and often sunny winters
- Unlike some of the smaller Greek islands, the landscape of Crete is particularly impressive, varied and simply wonderful
- Despite most peoples desire to be close to a beach and enjoy the sea views, it is the impressive White Mountains and Psiloritis Mountains that make Crete special. This chain of mountains stretches across the length of the island adding to the magnificence of the landscape, and when snow-topped in the winter, provides an attractive contrast to the blue of the winter sky
- The hillsides and plains are covered with well tended vines, wild herbs and olive trees, along with countless small villages, churches and monasteries
- Crete is surrounded by a magnificent coastline with crystal waters and secret swimming coves, beautiful beaches of sand and stones most are easily accessible, others hidden away waiting to be discovered
What is there to do on Crete?
Plenty! The whole of the island offers opportunity for exploration, activity, adventure and enjoyment.
- Visit places of archaeological interest include Knossos Palace, Ancient Phaistos Palace, Agia Triada and Kommos with the ancient port of Phaistos
- Heraklion Archeaological Museum, Historical Museum of Crete, Natural History Museum, Maritime Museum of Crete plus many local cultural museums
- An appreciation of nature, the environment and wildlife with walks, guided tours, gorge walks, cave exploration, mountain hiking and bird watching. Experience the vast flora and fauna native to the island at the Botanical Park and Gardens of Crete or take a peek under the sea at Crete Sealife and Aquarium centre
- Outdoor activities including swimming, sailing, fishing, diving and watersports
- A variety of sports are well catered for, including basketball, football and an 18-hole championship golf course
- Internationally recognised yoga schools, including those along the south coast at Triopetra and Agios Pavlos. Alternative therapy centres are becoming more popular
- For the keen gardener the climate provides an opportunity to easily grow fruit and vegetables in your own garden. There is nothing like growing, picking and enjoying homegrown fresh produce. Alternatively, with many farmers selling good quality produce, including organic, the local markets are a joy to experience
- Sample Cretans foods and wines at local tavernas and enjoy the famous Cretan hospitality
- A place which can inspire creativity, with many published authors writing about life in Crete and some who have chosen to make this wonderful island their home